Sunday, September 15, 2013

Review: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan


Summary:
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him? (...more info)

My Review:

This book caught my eye when I picked it up, I was instantly drawn in by the cover. Other than it felt a little dusty and gross I was eager to get it home. This book was one of many purchased at Half Price Book's Labor Day Sale on the Columbus trip with my book club to meet Rae Carson. The Author has been in and out of my book circles for a good long while, especially since I'm a huge fan of Cassandra Clare and Holly Black who are always tweeting about Sarah. I even found a few things in Sarah's book that I thought was a friendly nod to her friends, like character names. So needless to say when I saw the author on the book their was no doubt that it was going home with me. 

With that being said, I gave this book 3 1/2 stars. The premiss of the story was absolutely breathtaking, but there were just a few little things that I myself would have done differently. With many imaginary friends of my own growing up, what I wouldn't have given to have them turn out to be real. Eventually they became characters in my books, but man this whole thing just spoke to my heart. However, when Kami and Jared finally meet I just...I guess I expected more than just an awkward elevator ride.

I really wasn't particularly drawn to any of the characters in this book, and I certainly didn't relate to too many of them; but that doesn't mean they were bad. I'm not a huge fan of the name Kami, but I think that is because of Cam's Ham down the street. And that isn't very fair of me to judge Sarah's choice in names, but Kami just sort of fell flat. All of the characters did, but not enough I was rolling my eyes the entire time or hated them. I just had a hard time connecting with them.

It was a good book really, the intrigue and plot behind it kept my attention and kept me guessing. It was eerie and very gothic in it's ideas. I really enjoyed that, and I'll be excited to see where the next book goes. I believe it is to be released this month? Will it be first on my list of novels to read--no, but it will be one of many that I have waiting for a good cold rainy day where I can snuggle close to my family and a good book. 

What about you? Have you read Sarah Rees Brennan's books? If so, which one was your favorite and why? 





No comments:

Post a Comment