Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

"In Mary's world, there are simple truths. Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?" from Carrie Ryan Website

___________

I gave this book three stars on my goodreads account, because no matter how much I tried to get into it simply never swept me in. There is a lot of beautiful imagery like on page 158,

"Her long black hair framing skin that was both pale and dark, like the moon as it hangs over the horizon.'~The Forest of Hands and Teeth, page 158.


That really struck me as beautiful, and the entire book is fixed with certain imagery that will keep you interested. However, I as I stood there with Mary while she finally saw her ocean I couldn't help but feel like there is just something..missing. Without too many spoilers I felt that her reaction to the shore was very unrealistic. I guess also I wanted to know more how she felt period. Did she feel small like we all do staring at it? Did she see her mother there? Was it everything she ever imagined? Granted..a lot was going on, so perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, but besides that I do feel desired to read the next one. I did like the book, and for what it was it was a very interesting concept.

I simply wished that I could have felt something for this book, even if it was negative, I personally just failed to connect. However, still go read it--it is certainly worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment