Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Review: Something Like Winter by Jay Bell

Something Like Winter by Jay Bell


Summary:


There are two sides to every story. When you’re Tim Wyman, sometimes there are three.
Tim hoped moving to Texas would mean a new beginning, a chance to spread his wings, but he soon finds himself falling into the same tired patterns. Until he meets recklessly brave Benjamin Bentley. Suddenly a whole new world opens up to Tim—love, sex, warmth… home. Certain that society won’t understand what he and Ben have together, Tim struggles to protect their relationship, even if it means twisting the truth. As his lies slowly push Ben away, Tim learns that the greatest enemy can come from within. Buried beneath a decade of deceptions, Tim must claw his way to the surface in the hopes of learning to fly.
Something Like Winter, the companion novel to Something Like Summer, tells the story from Tim Wyman’s perspective, revealing new private moments and personal journeys.
(More Info Found Here: Jay Bell Official Website


Review:


So after my whirlwind romance with the first book I eagerly picked up the second, and hoped very much that a few of the little strings missing would be found in this one. For the most part, it did just that. 

This book really opens your eyes about Tim, seeing his struggle from a standpoint is something that I myself could relate more to than with Ben. My parents (mostly my father) were very harsh in my own coming of age story, and I found myself wanting to reach through the pages of this book and just hold Tim--promising that it gets better. 

Eric beat me to it.

Eric, who you were so very skeptical of, even at the end of Something Like Summer, turns out to be a darn nice guy. I fell in love with his strong spirit right away, and cheered for him all the way to the end.  Eric, like many of the new characters in this book is very well rounded, very finely sculpted and you find yourself wanting to know THEIR backstories as well. *Hint hint Jay, hint hint*

I still found myself rather angry with Tim, especially for a few events during Ben and Jace's relationship, but you can at least see where he's coming from much better. And let's face it, Tim just happened to be brave enough to do what all of us have wanted to do when seeing our ex move on and happy. His was just a little less....violent than mine. 

I didn't find myself as pulled under with this one, but I also wasn't as such a vulnerable place in my life. Yet, I did very much enjoy it. It took me about two days to read, and I can say that I enjoyed it very much. 

It served well as a second book in the series, without being a "And they continued to live happily ever after." It just went back and revisited a few things in their end scene, which was my one complaint with the first book. I wanted to have just a *little* more of Ben and Tim's happily ever after, and this book gave just enough to make it seem boring.

Let's Get Technical:

Again, I found very little wrong with this edition. Nothing was misspelled or jumped out at me as being wrong. I especially appreciated the pacing of the story, and how it retold the same tale but without just flat out going back and changing EVERYTHING to Tim's POV. Jay again, did really well with the movement of time, something I have always struggled with reading and writing myself.

I really appreciate Jay's use of imagery, especially Eric's house in this. Last book it was the Woodlands, this one totally Eric's home. It's not too much, it's not too little, it's just about right. And I will continue to follow this author for a while.


To Sum It All Up:

In the beginning of Something Like Winter, the author left a few notes and in this note he said:

"Happy couples are boring, and I refuse to write boring stories."
~Jay Bell, Something Like Winter

I expected another tear jerker, but didn't cry through this one. I was moved, don't get me wrong, but there wasn't any coffee stained face of my ugly sobs. However, saying this I do not know if I would have been as moved with this book had I not read Something Like Summer, and I do recommend still reading that one first. (Duh right?) I would not recommend reading this one as a stand alone book at all, but that does not mean I don't recommend it. Just read them in order.

This story was a welcome addition to my library, and I'm very impressed with how well Jay retold the same story over again--that is not easily done. I enjoyed it. It gave me a bit of closer to a few unanswered feelings from the first one, and easily one of the best ways to do a sequel to a book like Something Like Summer.

Will I be picking up Something Like Autumn? Yes, eventually, right now I'd like to sit and just let this story sink in (plus I have three others that need read first), but vacation is coming up at the end of July. I'll be excited to pick up on Jace's story then I'm sure. Plus, I want to get better at reviewing new releases.


Thank you,
Lillian Brittany 







No comments:

Post a Comment